Foam Rolling: What it is and why you should start NOW!
Foam Rolling has become more
popular over the years. It used to be something only athletes did, but the self massage technique has now made its way into many homes as studies continue to show its effectiveness in treating a multitude of muscle conditions.
What Is a Foam Roller?
A foam roller is a long or short cylinder shaped tube. It comes in medium densities or hard, and some even come with little bumps on them meant for a deeper massage.
I would start with a hard density and work your way up to the trigger point rollers. They can be a bit painful at first, as you work out tight muscles, but over time it gets easier (which means you're making progress!) As you roll, you are basically giving yourself a massage.
By slowing rolling over various areas of your body, you'll help break up adhesions (knots) and scar tissue, and speed up the healing and recovery process after a workout.
Benefits of Foam Rolling
The benefits are endless! Here are just some of the benefits of regular foam rolling:
- Knee Pain: Often times what we think is knee pain is actually just tight muscles, particularly the IT Band (the muscle that runs up the side of your leg, from knee to hip) Rolling your IT band and your quads regularly will often take care of the pain over time.
- Range of Motion: Rolling with help stretch out your fascia (connective tissue) and help lengthen out tight muscles, allowing better rang of motion
- Muscle Soreness: Are you ever sore after a workout, a massage, or just from daily tasks? Rolling will help your muscles recovery from daily activities faster, so you're much less sore overall
- Cellulite: YES! Although not a miracle, rolling does improve blood flow to the area and stretch out bunched up fascia which can make your legs and butt look smoother
- Less risk of injury: When your muscles and connective tissue are in good shape (not tight, knotted up, etc) your joints, ligaments and the rest of you can work properly as well. This will improve your chances of NOT hurting yourself while exercising or just doing daily tasks. You will experience less cramping, better workouts, less tension and less pain.
I could go on and on!
I love foam rolling so much, I SWEAR by it!
I have even made a video that demonstrates how to foam roll almost every part of your body!
You can check that out below or watch on YouTube >>> HERE
I have a few rollers I highly recommend... they are inexpensive and one of the best tools I could ever recommend as a Personal Trainer and Massage Therapist.
Get yours NOW!!!!
- Flat roller for a lighter massage: HERE
- Deep Tissue Roller >>>> HERE